According to tradition, the Sephardic Community Committee was established by the Ramban, according to tradition. The Sephardic Community Committee was established by the Ramban and led the Jews of Jerusalem for hundreds of years. At the head of the committee was the Rishon LeZion, whose service was consolidated from the 1840s with the servant of the sage Bashi, and was recognized as the authorized representative of the entire Yishuv towards the Ottoman authorities and as supreme authority in all matters of religion. This authority raised the sage Bashi over other rabbis, as well as the status of the Sephardi community over other communities.
Beginning in the middle of the 19 th century, the committee suffered from polemics on the basis of origin. As early as 1860, the committee of the Western community in Jerusalem split from the committee, and later, other groups split up.
Since the beginning of the 20th century, the status of the Sephardic community in Jerusalem has been greatly weakened by the fact that most of the first, second and third immigrants to Jerusalem were Ashkenazim, thereby reducing Sephardic Jews in Jerusalem, After the death of Rabbi Yaakov Shaul Elyashar in 1906. Moreover, following World War I, the resources of the Sephardic community were greatly depleted.
[Edit source code] editing]
The committee of the community held very large property in Jerusalem; It included plots of land on the Mount of Olives dedicated to cemeteries, residential buildings for public purposes and shops in and around Jerusalem; In the Old City, the widow's border houses, and the courtyards around the four Sephardic synagogues, one of which is named after Rabban Yohanan ben Zakkai; Talmud Torah and Misgav Ladach Hospital; Outside the walls and in the city of the new city: houses in the sanctuary of Tura (in the Mishkenot Sha'ananim neighborhood), in Yemin Moshe, Even Yisrael, Beit Yisrael, Mahane Yehuda, Zichron Moshe, Rehavia, the new city center . In the early 1930s, they lived in apartments owned by the community committee at the beginning of 530. [Source is required] In addition, the community committee had assets in Jaffa, and even in the town of Khanakin in Iraq.