A number of wealthy Jews continued to add large sums of money to the community. The largest consecration was by Sima Lilius of Calcutta, who left £ 80,000 in 1926 to the "Great Synagogue of Jerusalem" (after the deliberations as the Rabban Yohanan Ben Zakai synagogue) and funds for the purchase of four buildings with shops and apartments built in several neighborhoods such as Rehavia The great sanctuaries were also received from Chaim Aharon and Valero and Raphael Aharon Gabai as well as from the sanctuary of the Sephardic orphanage of the Borochof and Issacharoff families.
During the British Mandate [edit source code | editing]
About two months after the British conquest of Jerusalem, the Sephardic Community Committee was established in Jerusalem. In the new format that continued throughout the mandate period, he was a legal entity whose functions included, inter alia, supervision of the community's assets in Israel and abroad, its income, management and maintenance of education and charity, the provision of assistance to scholars and rabbis and charity to the needy.
Between the years 1938-1947, the president of the Sephardi Community Committee was the lawyer David Abulafia.
After the establishment of the state [edit source code | editing]
After the establishment of the State, a large part of the property of the Committee was found outside its territory, namely in the territory of the Kingdom of Jordan; In addition, the community committee lost control of some of the sanctuaries in his favor, such as the sanctuary of Sima Lilius.
The committee's status was also weakened as a result of many struggles at the top of the Sephardic community among its leaders were Eliahu Elyashar and David Sitton.
Other reasons for the decline in the status of the Sephardic community are related to the Holocaust of European Jewry in which they were extinct or exited from their countries, members of the communities of the community from Salonika and Greece in general, in Bulgaria and Yugoslavia; And at the same time, due to the rise of the Jews of North Africa and the Middle East, whose rabbis and leaders assumed positions of influence in the religious and traditional life of Eastern Jews.
In the mid-1980s, after the Amutot Law was passed, the committee was divided into six sister associations, including the Sephardi Community Committee; The Sephardic Hevra Kadisha and Misgav Ladach Hospital.
Since 1990 he has headed the Sephardi Community Council, Yechezkel Zakai